This is not my original mani for this week! I ususally change my mani on Friday or Saturday, which I did as usual. I was inspired by an amazing mani I saw on instagram so I reinterpreted it with my new Black Cherry gel and Victorian Lace wraps. I learned my lesson: never gel in the dark!
My hubby and I were watching The Maze Runner with mood lighting and I was doing my nails. I am an amazing nail painter (if I do say so myself) so I could manage the polish okay. But even in the reduced lighting, I could see that the Black Cherry gel was just not covering my nail like I wanted. I did 4 (FOUR) coats of color and it still turned out streaky and not opaque!! When I saw it in the morning, I was pretty bummed. I also thought my glitter tips came out thick and goopy looking.
So after 3 days, I changed it out for something more subdued during my children’s bathtime. Matte wraps apply like butter! I think it only took me 20 minutes to put the new ones on and they look perfect!
My Quick Review of Jamberry Black Cherry Gel:
Sad face. Compared with Sensationail gel colors, Jamberry’s Black Cherry was tough to work with! Sensationail gets an A for:
- easy to apply, good brush shape, soft bristles
- opaque in 2 coats, even coverage
- the base/top coat cures in only 30 seconds
Versus Jamberry’s TruShine, which gets a C-
- the brush shape was square and the bristles were stiff, so it was hard to get the gel around my nail beds
- hard brush to clean, I was wiping and wiping and wiping to get it not so gloppy on the brush
- it went on streaky. Then with more and more coats, it never stopped looking streaky. FOUR coats and it was still streaky and transparent in places
- cures in 45 seconds. 15 seconds may not sound like a lot, but when you have to do base, cure, color, cure, color, cure, color, cure, color, cure, glitter, cure, top, cure, top, cure, it adds up.
Removal? Trushine is no joke. That stuff is going to stay on there. Because of my extra glitter tips, it took a long time to soak off. 15 full minutes. I don’t know yet about staying power, but Sensationail gels came off my nails after about 4 days.
GOOD THING? Trushine can be applied over regular lacquer. I may just stick with that because 1) it’s cheaper & 2) if it lasts more than 4 days, it’s better than Sensationail and obviously better than just lacquer alone. Plus I like the added strength of the gel on my thin nails.